We are looking for Renaissance Men and Women to realize the energy of the future
Interested in joining? Check the job openings below (click to expand), and even if you don’t see an immediate match of your skills and interests, send us a cv anyway: we are always keen to hear from talented people. We will contact you as soon as a better match becomes available.
03 Communication Specialist
Apply by: July 15, 2020
Start on: September 1, 2020
Full-time position. Could initially be remote (due to COVID19). Competitive salary.
We are looking for a multi-talented person: an excellent communicator in English and other languages, versed in new technologies and new media, able to explain complex science and give it an artistic touch by means of graphics and videos, able to convey the environmental and financial impact of our mission and to interface with different stakeholders, with an eye or two on marketing (of the idea, the vision, the technology).
Tasks and expectations:
- Develops and implements a communication and marketing strategy to help meeting the company’s short-term and long-term strategic, branding and positioning goals in the areas of: business development, go-to-market strategy, relations with investors, future customers, the media and the broader public.
- Generates content and regularly updates the company website and existing and new social media accounts. Regularly posts news and stories -either of his/her own, or proposed by coworkers.
- Organizes virtual “speed dating” events with potential investors.
- Organizes virtual “town-hall meetings” and webinars.
- Occasionally organizes and attends in-person promotional events at conferences and fairs.
- Designs and orders to external contractors promotional material for conferences, fairs and reward-based crowdfunding campaigns.
- Issues press-releases on major news from the company (scientific breakthroughs, new patents, funding rounds closed, new collaborations) and “pushes them” with appropriate outlets.
- Occasionally writes non-technical articles on Renaissance Fusion, commercial fusion in general, and its spin-offs for blogs, magazines etc.
- Writes and distributes a brief company newsletter every 3 months.
- Assists in the preparation of oral presentations (e.g. pitch deck) and written documents (business plan, grant proposals etc.) by recommending and implementing formal and substantial changes in the interest of clarity and engagement. Streamlines the message, makes it more targeted and compelling, enriches it with graphics, infographics, story-telling etc.
- Realizes videos for posting on company website and YouTube. Breaks up with audio and video clichés of scientific documentaries by borrowing from more dynamic genres such as music videoclips; uses energetic, unconventional but pertinent music backgrounds to sculpt the company brand.
- Realizes animations, alone or in collaboration with external contractors, to illustrate technologies, future products and their merits, either for on-line posting or for in-person presentations.
- Creativity with the written and spoken word, graphics or other media.
- University degree(s) or certificate(s), or at least 3 years of working experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Communications, journalism
- Applied arts (design, graphics, computer graphics, web-design, video-making etc.)
- Commitment to rapid self-study in gap area(s), during working hours.
- Ability to concisely explain “deep tech” in non-technical English. Ability to convincingly differentiate fusion from fission.
- Nimble, engaging story-telling.
- Ability to adapt to different audiences (impact-driven, finance-driven, tech-enthusiast etc.).
- Perfect command of the English language (C2 or mother-tongue). Good knowledge of French (B2 or higher).
- Experience as a science youtuber, blogger etc.
- 6-month experience in Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- 1-year experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or other graphics packages.
- 3-month experience with professional hardware and software for video-making and editing.
- Good knowledge (B1 or higher) of at least another language, preferably Mandarin, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish or German.
- An amateur or professional, encyclopedic interest in music, and the ability to make modern, unconventional, disruptive choices of background music for the company videos, in line with the projected company image and with the taste and age-bracket of typical video-viewers.
01 Post-doctoral Mathematician (2 years)
Geometry of Stellarator Confinement – DEADLINE APPROACHING (June 30)!
Apply by: June 30, 2020.
Start on: September 1, 2020
External position based at the Laboratoire Jacques-Louis Lions at Sorbonne University in Paris, in collaboration with Renaissance Fusion in Grenoble. The post-doc will explore mathematical aspects of nuclear fusion, and more specifically of how to design a “magnetic bottle” of the stellarator type to efficiently confine plasmas. A fresh look at the geometrical properties of magnetic field-lines from a control perspective will be combined with shape optimization techniques. This is a collaboration with Mario Sigalotti and Ugo Boscain from the Control And GEometry (CAGE) group at INRIA Paris, and shape optimization expert Yannick Privat, affiliated, among others, with the Tokamaks and Numerical Simulations (TONUS) group at Université de Strasbourg.
02 Intern – Patent-writing
Apply by: June 30, 2020
Start on: July 15, 2020
2-3 month summer internship, remote (due to COVID19), retributed with a competitive stipend.
Tasks and expectations:
- Communicate and work with scientists and engineers at Renaissance Fusion: learn about a variety of new technologies, identify inventive features, distinguish prior patents and publications.
- Draft patent applications with clarity and technical accuracy.
- Realize schematic illustrations of the inventions.
- Communicate and work with patent attorneys in writing patent applications and filing patent prosecution matters.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master degree in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or related field.
GPA of 3.5 or higher (USA), 15 or higher (France), 1.5 or lower (Germany) or their equivalent in other countries (see OECD table of equivalence).
- Technical writing experience (scientific papers, grant proposals, patents etc.).
- Written and oral communication skills. Ability to explain complicated concepts in a clear, concise manner.
- Organizational and problem-solving skills, attention to detail and will to learn.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- 6 months of patent or general intellectual property experience.
- 6 months of experience using AutoCAD, SolidWorks or other CAD software.